Foto: Jørgen Nielsen
13:00 - 14:30
Guided tour – På sporet af Aarhus-jazzen 3 (DK)
Carl Ancher Pedersen (guide)
The jazz tour goes to Sydhavnen
• When and how did jazz come to Aarhus?
• Where did it settle, reproduce, and branch out into a myriad of genres?
• Where has it lived during the roughly 100 years since it found its way to the city when it was "young and wild"?
• What happened when the city's curious citizens and musicians first became acquainted with jazz's royal instrument, the saxophone?
• What ups and downs have happened in Aarhus jazz taken, and how is it doing today?
• Which Danish and foreign jazz stars have brightened in the Aarhus jazz sky over the years?
• When and how did Aarhus get its own annual jazz festival?
- And what can I experience in this year's edition?
On this walk, learn the answers to these and other questions.
We start at the mirror pool in front of Muiskhuset, after which we pass some of the venues - past and present - where jazz has been played over the years.
On this trip, we put special focus on the young and "free" jazz, which this year is especially popular in Sydhavnen. We arrive on the last day of the big SHARE improv festival and get the opportunity to have a look at the studio where top young Danish and foreign modern jazz musicians rehearse prior to the evening. We also take a look at the venue where it all takes place.
In addition to jazz, you will get an introduction to the colorful, creative, and artistic environment that thrives today in the old slaughterhouse buildings, and to the history of Sydhavnen – a former industrial area that is currently undergoing drastic change. The trip passes Kulbroen and Filmbyen and ends at Dokk1.
Come and swing on a jazzy city walk.
Your guide on the trip is Carl Ancher Pedersen, who has a good knowledge of both jazz, Aarhus Jazz Festival, and the city. In addition to being the editor of the jazz festival's program, he is a guide with Aarhus Guides.
A total of three city walks will take place during the jazz week, all in Danish:
Sunday, July 11 at 1 PM - 2.30 PM - the "classic" jazz city walk
Wednesday, July 14 at 1 PM - 2.30 PM - the jazz tour goes to Godsbanen
Saturday, 17 July at 1 PM - 2.30 PM - the jazz tour goes to Sydhavnen
Cover charge 100 DKK
50 kr. for børn under 18 år.
Thomas Jensens Allé 2
8000 Aarhus C
(+45) 40 19 90 18
Aarhus Jazz Festival